The UK government began phasing out of higher energy halogen lamps, in 2018. Now the focus is on Fluorescent Lamps/tubes. The changes aim to eliminate hazardous substances and reduce the cost of consumers energy bills.
The RoHS (Restriction of the use of Hazardous Substances) Directive specifically relates to the use of Mercury in lamps. Previous exemptions are now being removed and the production of many fluorescent lamps will be banned. The T8 fluorescent lamp and the T5 fluorescent tubes will be phased out this year (2023).
It is important to start planning for these changes in order to meet the new regulations and avoid unnecessary disruptions. It will also help avoid rising costs and save consumers time and money in the long term.
The use of LEDs in Britain has increased substantially over recent years. Many people are already experiencing the benefits of LED upgrades, finding the cost of installation recovered by their reduced energy and maintenance costs.
Benefits of LED lighting include:
- LEDs are up to 80% more efficient than halogen lamps/tubes
- LEDs can last up to 5 times longer than traditional lighting
- LEDs can reduce your electricity bill to up to 70%
- Can cut your premises carbon dioxide emissions by up to 55 kg a year
- Reduce ongoing maintenance and repair costs
- Improve the overall look and feel of your environment.
EMC Electrical Group offer complete LED upgrade services, from initial survey, to lighting design and full rewire and installation. We aim to make the whole process as smooth and hassle-free as possible, offering a reliable and professional end-to-end service. Speak to us about an LED upgrade today.